Conway Contributes

by | Feb 6, 2024 | Entertainment, Features, Newspaper 4 | 0 comments

On Sunday, local shops and small businesses set up tents for the Conway Community Market. These assemblies sell a variety of food and accessories, all while finding ways to help out their community.

The Conway Community Market takes place one Sunday every month at Barber Park from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. The Conway Community Organization runs the market with Jackie Blake as the event coordinator.

Blake and several other volunteers take their time to help those who stop by their tent as best they can.

“We deal with issues in the Conway area and serve as a segway for people to get their message across to the local government,” Blake said. 

The market has student volunteers helping around as well. This allows them to obtain volunteer hours and help their community.

“I volunteer [at the market] to get closer to  my community and to be able to participate in activities with animals and families,” sophomore Ariya Shuler said.

Those who decide to become vendors at the market earn the benefit of getting their name out there and gaining support from these events.

Sophomore Elizabeth Behrens, another volunteer at the Conway Community Market, said, “It gives back to small businesses.”

Vendors can help in much simpler ways as well by just giving people enjoyable activities and some entertainment, like local dance groups, martial arts, and ballet.

“It helps the community by having free activities so that everyone can go out and have fun,” Shuler said.

And having some fun can go a long way.

Even with holidays around the corner the market still tries to lend a helping hand to those that do not have shelter or food. 

“At Thanksgiving, we collect baskets from businesses and community members and work with five local churches to distribute them to those in need,” Blake said. “With the money we have raised, we [also] donate to local charities such as the Kiwanis Bike giveaway at Christmas.”

Although the holidays are over, more opportunities will arise for people to give donations and help out at the market.

Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer or vendor can got to the Conway Community Market Facebook page to learn more or attend the market and visit the Conway Community Organization tent to ask some questions.

Author

• Kailany Kotrys

Kailani Kotrys is a sophomore and editor for the Highlights newspaper. She plans on becoming an author but is also interested in becoming a journalist. She hopes to gain better writing skills as she takes journalism.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *