The Quest Continues

by | Feb 6, 2024 | Entertainment, Newspaper 4 | 0 comments

Percy Jackson and the Olympians started as a bedtime story Rick Riordan told his son, but it has spiraled into all forms of media. From a book series to a TV show, this fictional story has grown into a fandom people love.

The Percy Jackson and the Olympian series is about Perseus Jackson discovering he is a Greek demigod. Now, monsters are after him because of his godly parentage.

The first book in the series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, was written by Riordan and published in 2005. The book series finally took a rest in 2009.

But the book series was never the end. Percy Jackson and the Olympians gained such traction that 20th Century Fox released a movie adaptation of the first book in 2010.

“It was a good movie, but to call it Percy Jackson was very inaccurate,” freshman Anna Lee said. “The characters were way too old [and they missed] a lot of aspects that were important to the story.”

The movie won commercial success, earning over $200 million, but it was highly criticized for its lack of care for the original story.

Despite the backlash, Fox produced a movie based on the next book, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters.It was released in 2013, the feedback not getting better.

Sophomore Cameron Broomfield said, “It wasn’t the book at all. It just seemed very out of place.”

After both movies failed, a third one was out of the question.

“They said they were Percy Jackson, but they were really their own separate thing,” Broomfield said.

In 2014, the book was adapted into The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical. It was received well, gaining more love than the movies.

“You were able to see the original characters and plot shine through in a genuine way,” Vanos said.

Although the musical didn’t have everything, they were able to stay faithful to the original storyline.

“The musical couldn’t fit as much detail in,” Lee said, “but what it did fit in was accurate [to the books].”

In 2022, the theatre department brought the play to life.

“I usually get bored watching [musicals],” junior Lilly Bringle said, “but this one kept my attention.”

Students who saw the musical unfold at school could see all the effort put into it by the cast and crew.

“I thought it was great,” Lee said. “They cast the roles well and I could tell everyone worked hard.”

Fans were happy with the musical, but some still wanted to see a good adaptation on screen.

So when Riordan announced a TV adaptation fans were elated.

“I was really excited that we were getting another shot to see something that’s so close to a lot of people’s hearts,” Vanos said.

Hopes were high for the new adaptation, especially with Riordan having control over the show.

“I thought it was great that he could be on set to make sure everything was accurate,” Lee said.

Two episodes of Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief were finally released on December 19.

Changes were made to help bring the world of Percy Jackson on screen. Even though it didn’t make the show completely book-accurate, fans found it to be much better than the movies every were.

“I realized that the changes made were better than the books, which I didn’t even [think] possible,” sophomore Uma Escalante said.

The changes made by the show also gave the book readers something to be shocked by, even if they know the story by heart.

“I think [the show] is a good blend for book readers who want something accurate,” Vanos said, “but I’m still on the edge of my seat.”

Season one only brought the first book to screen, but there is hope for the rest of the series to be adapted.

“I hope it gets renewed for a second and third season for the other books,” Escalante said.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a story cherished by countless people. So, to see it adapted in so many ways, no matter how horrible or amazing the adaptation, is a blessing from the gods.

Author

• Kailany Kotrys

Kailani Kotrys is a sophomore and editor for the Highlights newspaper. She plans on becoming an author but is also interested in becoming a journalist. She hopes to gain better writing skills as she takes journalism.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *