Walking Worries

by , | Feb 6, 2024 | News, Newspaper 4 | 10 comments

Students who frequently walk to and from school get presented with issues that threaten their safety, such as cars speeding, drivers not paying attention, and untimely weather conditions for vehicles.

Students who walk or ride their bicycles tend to underestimate the traffic dangers that surround them, and drivers periodically neglect pedestrian signs. This lack of attention can lead to injuries and, occasionally, deaths.

An article by Martin Jean & Jackson, Should You Be Worried About Your Children Walking To School?, reported, “Younger children are especially in danger of being hit by their school buses, but they are by no means the only age group affected.” 

In fact, according to Safe Kids Worldwide, “Teenagers are twice as likely to be killed in a pedestrian accident than younger children and accounted for over half of all pedestrian injuries involving children over the past five years.”

Drivers who have had a long day are more likely to cause an accident because they are often drained and drowsy, which takes away their ability to notice students and slows their reaction time. 

“There are a lot of speeding cars, and it makes it difficult to cross roads safely going home,” freshman Aaron Allen said. 

Florida is one of the worst states for students that are leaving or going to school.

According to The Gainesville Sun, “Year after year Florida sits at the very top of the Smart Growth America/Complete Streets Coalition annual ‘Dangerous by Design’ report’s ranking of the most dangerous states in America for pedestrians.” 

And it doesn’t help that children’s brains are not fully developed, which makes them vulnerable to causing or being in a traffic collision.

Another known hazard for students is the weather. Rain bombards the sidewalks, which can make the roads too slippery for vehicles to navigate safely during busy times and low light. 

When driving over a puddle the tires of a car, bus, or any other vehicle lose traction with the road, which can cause an accident with a student or another car. 

It can help to remember areas where children and teens may be walking. Once this is embedded into the minds of drivers, walking home could feel safer for students. 

Authors

• Jacob Zapata 9th

Hello I am Jacob Zapata I’m a Freshman in Journalism 1, I'm passionate about entertainment news and football. I hope to become a entertainment journalist someday

View all posts
  • Kimberly Quarles

Kiki Quarles is a sophomore staffer and it is her second year on newspaper staff! She loves to photograph and write sports stories! She plans to attend Baylor University and major in Nursing and Healthcare and minor in Business and Advertising.

View all posts

10 Comments

1. Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the supply?

Reply
  2. I besides conceive hence, perfectly written post! .

Reply
  3. You made certain fine points there. I did a search on the topic and found nearly all persons will have the same opinion with your blog.

Reply
  4. I like what you guys are up also. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I?¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website 🙂

Reply
  5. I will immediately grab your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Reply
  6. hello!,I really like your writing so so much! proportion we keep in touch extra approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert on this space to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look forward to peer you.

Reply
Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *