Walking Worries

by , | Feb 6, 2024 | News, Newspaper 4 | 22 comments

Students who frequently walk to and from school get presented with issues that threaten their safety, such as cars speeding, drivers not paying attention, and untimely weather conditions for vehicles.

Students who walk or ride their bicycles tend to underestimate the traffic dangers that surround them, and drivers periodically neglect pedestrian signs. This lack of attention can lead to injuries and, occasionally, deaths.

An article by Martin Jean & Jackson, Should You Be Worried About Your Children Walking To School?, reported, “Younger children are especially in danger of being hit by their school buses, but they are by no means the only age group affected.” 

In fact, according to Safe Kids Worldwide, “Teenagers are twice as likely to be killed in a pedestrian accident than younger children and accounted for over half of all pedestrian injuries involving children over the past five years.”

Drivers who have had a long day are more likely to cause an accident because they are often drained and drowsy, which takes away their ability to notice students and slows their reaction time. 

“There are a lot of speeding cars, and it makes it difficult to cross roads safely going home,” freshman Aaron Allen said. 

Florida is one of the worst states for students that are leaving or going to school.

According to The Gainesville Sun, “Year after year Florida sits at the very top of the Smart Growth America/Complete Streets Coalition annual ‘Dangerous by Design’ report’s ranking of the most dangerous states in America for pedestrians.” 

And it doesn’t help that children’s brains are not fully developed, which makes them vulnerable to causing or being in a traffic collision.

Another known hazard for students is the weather. Rain bombards the sidewalks, which can make the roads too slippery for vehicles to navigate safely during busy times and low light. 

When driving over a puddle the tires of a car, bus, or any other vehicle lose traction with the road, which can cause an accident with a student or another car. 

It can help to remember areas where children and teens may be walking. Once this is embedded into the minds of drivers, walking home could feel safer for students. 

Authors

• Jacob Zapata 9th

Hello I am Jacob Zapata I’m a Freshman in Journalism 1, I'm passionate about entertainment news and football. I hope to become a entertainment journalist someday

View all posts
  • Kimberly Quarles

Kiki Quarles is a sophomore staffer and it is her second year on newspaper staff! She loves to photograph and write sports stories! She plans to attend Baylor University and major in Nursing and Healthcare and minor in Business and Advertising.

View all posts

22 Comments

1. Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the supply?

Reply
  2. I besides conceive hence, perfectly written post! .

Reply
  3. You made certain fine points there. I did a search on the topic and found nearly all persons will have the same opinion with your blog.

Reply
  4. I like what you guys are up also. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I?¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website 🙂

Reply
  5. I will immediately grab your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Reply
  6. hello!,I really like your writing so so much! proportion we keep in touch extra approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert on this space to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look forward to peer you.

Reply
  7. After all, what a great site and informative posts, I will upload inbound link – bookmark this web site? Regards, Reader.

Reply
  8. You can certainly see your skills in the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

Reply
  9. Hi , I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbled upon it on Yahoo , i will come back once again. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and help other people.

Reply
  10. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

Reply
  11. Hello. magnificent job. I did not imagine this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!

Reply
  12. I love this site! It’s full of up-to-date and useful information. Thanks to everyone involved.

Reply
  13. I haven’t come across such a comprehensive and high-quality site in a long time. You are awesome!

Reply
  14. Siteniz sayesinde bir�ok konuda bilgi sahibi oldum. Eme�inize sa�l�k, ger�ekten muhte�emsiniz!

Reply
  15. Incredibly informative and entertaining site. I highly recommend it to everyone!

Reply
  16. مزاج , شيشةمزاج هو علامة تجارية تتخصص في صناعة وتوريد الشيشة ومستلزماتها. تتميز علامة التجارية بتصميماتها المبتكرة والعصرية، وجودة منتجاتها العالية، وتجربة العملاء

Reply
  17. Her ziyaretimde yeni bir şey öğreniyorum. İçerikler çok özenli ve profesyonelce hazırlanmış.pendik escort

Reply
Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *